Saturday 13 January 2018

Together we create family


Poem by Emily Dickinson

There are many facets to the meaning of family.  
There are the families we head as parents, the families we were raised in as children, and social families the we choose to belong to.  

Today we enjoyed a wonderful few hours with family, and together we were sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles, great aunts, great uncles, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, grandmothers, grandfathers and most importantly all are family and friends.

Emily Dickinson says it best in her poem “One Sister Have I In Our House” talks about her relationship with her biological sister and her sister-in-law Sue.

One Sister have I in our house,
And one, a hedge away.
There's only one recorded,
But both belong to me.

One came the road that I came --
And wore my last year's gown --
The other, as a bird her nest,
Builded our hearts among.

She did not sing as we did --
It was a different tune --
Herself to her a music
As Bumble bee of June.

Today is far from Childhood --
But up and down the hills
I held her hand the tighter --
Which shortened all the miles --

And still her hum
The years among,
Deceives the Butterfly;
Still in her Eye
The Violets lie
Mouldered this many May.

I spilt the dew --
But took the morn --
I chose this single star
From out the wide night's numbers --
Sue - forevermore!
Grandma Snyder

©2013-2018 twosnydergirls

January 13, 2018


No comments: