We have never been able to find out why this wonderful family dish is called German Baked Beans the addition of ground meat, applesauce and horseradish does sets it apart from traditional molasses baked beans.
At the foundation of this recipe is molasses baked beans, and ground meat. We have used ground turkey and beef or pork work just as well.
This is a wonderful dish for cold fall evenings.
- 1 lb ground meat
- 5 cups of molasses baked beans
- 1/2 a medium onion chopped
- 3 Tablespoon mustard
- 2 Tablespoon horseradish
- 1 cup apple sauce or 1/2 cup apple butter
- Place all of the ingredients into oven proof container or slow cooker and mix well.
- Bake in the oven at 400 for 1 1/2 hours or until the liquid has reduced or in a slow cooker put on medium heat until the meat is thoroughly cooked. In the slow cooker depending on the fat content of your meat you may need to cook off excess liquid.
- In a frying pan combine the meat and onions and cook until meat is done.
- Drain off all excess fat
- Combined all the ingredients in either the slow cooker or oven proof container and cook reducing the time by 1/2
From Our Table to Yours