2015 will go down in the tomato growing record books at the Snyder home. Grandpa’s seven tomato plants are still producing cherry tomatoes by the handful and it was this abundance of cherry tomatoes that sent us in search of a new recipe.
We both love the flavour of roasted tomatoes and the cherry tomatoes were exactly right for this method. As usual the refrigerator revealed what else would go into the roasted tomato soup; carrots, celery and homemade vegetable broth.
Friends had recently shared a bag full of this year’s garlic so this recipe at it's base had roasted tomatoes and garlic.
- Enough cherry tomatoes to cover a 9 x 12 in. baking sheet with sides
- 2 garlic bulbs (12 cloves of garlic)
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- 1 onion chopped
- 3 stalks of celery chopped
- 2 carrots chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon ground bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon ground basil
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoon maple syrup
- Cover the bottoms of a 9 x 12 inch sided baking sheet with parchment paper
- Drizzle olive oil on the bottom of the pan
- Roll the cherry tomatoes in the oil coating them
- Cut the top off two garlic bulbs so that the top of the individual cloves are showing
- Place these in a corner of the pan
- Drizzle olive oil over the garlic
- Sprinkle a generous amount of salt on the tomatoes and garlic
- Drizzle Balsamic vinegar over top of the tomatoes and garlic
- Bake for 1 ½ hours in a 350 °F Oven.
- Remove from the oven and let stand
- Drizzle olive oil in the bottom of a soup pot
- Sauté the chopped onion and celery until the celery turns bright green
- Add the vegetable broth, carrots, herbs, tomato paste and cook until the carrots are tender
- Remove the roasted garlic cloves for the paper skins and add to the soup pot along with the tomatoes.
- Simmer for 25 minutes.
- Use either a food processer or a handheld blender being very careful not to burn yourself, blend everything that is in the pot into a smooth thick soup.
- Add the maple syrup stir this in and serve.
From Our Table to Yours
©2013 – 2015twosnydergirls