Our eggplant is now ready to pick so we went in search of a new recipe to try. There were numerous recipes for curried eggplant, and each one either had ingredients we did not like or that we did not have on hand so we created our own. We enjoy the earthy favour of our unique recipe please note there is no heat in our recipe by design.
- 2 tablespoons oil (we used coconut oil)
- 2 onions diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 cups of tomatoes diced
- 6 cups of eggplant diced (we used three small eggplants)
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon chopped basil
- 156 ml can of tomato paste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large frying pan saute the onions and garlic in the oil until the onions are translucent.
- Add to this the vegetable broth, tomatoes, eggplant all the spices and the tomato paste
- Simmer until the liquid has reduced.
- Serve on rice.
Note: We were interrupted and had to leave the house before the liquid had reduced so we moved the curry to a slow cooker where it finished beautifully. The slow cooker was on medium heat with the lid on a slight angle to let some of the moisture escape.
From Our Table To Yours