Fresh berry pie sweetened with sugar and thickened with cornstarch is one of easiest and to our way of thinking best tasting pies. While we were in Saskatchewan this summer Carla treated us to just one of these gems.
Saskatoon Berry Pie
- Double pie crust recipe
- 3 cups Saskatoon berries cleaned (this pie works with all berries)
- ½ cup of sugar (note the original recipe called for 1 cup)
- 2 Tablespoons of cornstarch
- Prepare your pie crust and roll out one bottom which you place in your pie plate and one top
- In a large bowl mix the berries, sugar and cornstarch
- Place the berry mixture in the pie plate and cover with second pie crust
- Cut steam vents in pie crust
- Bake at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes
- Your pie crust should be a golden brown colour
- Note: Key to the success of plating this pie is cooling in completely allowing the cornstarch to gel and hold the fruit together.
From Our Table To Yours