This is an old family recipe that we are sharing with you this week.
- 1 precooked pie shell
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups rhubarb chopped
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 maple syrup divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/8 of a teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs separated
- ¼ cup almond milk
- ½ cup sugar
- Slowly cook the rhubarb in a saucepan with the butter and water until the rhubarb is cooked.
- Mix the 2 tablespoons cornstarch in the almond milk until a smooth paste is formed.
- To the paste add the two egg yolks and mix.
- Add this mixture to the rhubarb in the sauce pan plus the salt.
- Cook until the pie filling has thickened.
- Add to precooked pie shell
- Whip the egg whites and sugar into a meringue and top the pie
- Finish the pie in the oven under the broiler until the meringue peaks turn brown.
- Let the pie cool on the counter top until the meringue has cooled to prevent it from pulling away from the pie crust.
- Chill and serve.
From Our Table to Yours