Sunday 10 May 2015

Keeping Mother's Day Real

On Mother’s Day Remember

Source Graphic Fairy

Happy Mother’s Day!

No matter where we look today on social media, in our places of worship and within our communities this refrain dominates.  

This week I have posted poetry about mothers in celebration of my mother and through your comments I came to understand at an even deeper level how lucky I am to have my mother with me, that she still remembers me and that we can continue to make memories together.

On this Mother’s Day I want to acknowledge that for many this day is a day of remembrance.   It is with heavy heart they will look at pictures of mothers who are no longer here.  For others they will sit beside mothers who while still here no longer remember.  And for some it will be to think about an unknown mother who gave birth and then passed them to the mother who raised them.

Finally I want to acknowledge that for some Mother’s Day is not a time of celebration for their experience of mother and motherhood was/is filled with confusion, anger and loss.

So today Mother’s Day 2015 I want to make it real!

What is a mother? 
  • She is a flawed human being as all human beings are.
  • She carries with her a unique set of disappointments, dreams, shame, perception of life and abilities.
  • She was born to experience joy, happiness, surprise, love, anger, disgust, fear, and sadness.
  • She has done the best that she could with her lot in life and her willingness to extend herself.
  • She is not a super hero though many perform acts of heroism.
  • She is not a saint though many today are remembers as such.


Borrowing from Charlotte Bronte 
“I am not an angel,’ I asserted; ‘and I will not be one till I die: I will be myself. [Children], you must neither expect nor exact anything celestial of me – for you will not get it, any more than I shall get it for you: which I do not at all anticipate.”  from Jane Eyre 
Grandma Snyder

©2013-2015 twosnydergirls

No comments: