The Sloppy Joe found it’s beginning in the Great Depression when homemakers struggled to feed their families for less. The Sloppy Joe by definition is loose meat in a tomato sauce, served over bread or between bread.
Overtime Sloppy Joes have become a comfort food in both American and Canadian homes and while our Vegan Sloppy Joe does not contain meat it is made with loose Quinoa & Mushroom mix (click here for recipe) our meat substitute recipe. We have also up-cycled the tomato sauce.
- 2 cups cooked Quinoa & Mushroom
- 1 ½ cups of mushroom chopped
- 1 cups of chopped onions
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 4 chopped fresh tomatoes
- 1 small can of tomatoe past
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons of your favourite gluten free Italian spice mix. We used Epicure Italian Dressing Seasoning.
- 4 gluten free buns
- Deep frying pan with lid
- Chop all your vegetables
- Heat the coconut oil in a large frying pan and sauté onions until clear
- Add the rest of your vegetables and seasoning
- Cook the vegetables on low for 20 minutes with lid on
- Remove the lid and cook off most of the liquid and then add the tomatoe paste stir in.
- The last step is to add your cooked Quinoa and Mushroom cook for 3 minutes and service on your buns
Enjoy from our table to yours.