Thursday 27 February 2014

Gluten Free Vegetable Cheese Quiche



February is Hot Breakfast Month

Vegetable Quiche

A quiche is a wonderful hot breakfast.  It can be made ahead of time and warmed up for a quick, nutritious hot breakfast.  My version is gluten free and is as full of vegetables as I can make it, thus it is also a hearty breakfast.

I start by greasing a large pie plate and then I cover the bottom of the plate with gluten free break crumbs (do not get them too thick).  I use El Peto Stuffing it is pre seasoned and adds a savory favours to the quiche.  This forms the crust.

Next I take a about cups of broccoli cut into bite size pieces and I steam in the microwave for about 2 minutes.

At the same time I cut up one sweet pepper you can use green, red or yellow.
Then I dice a cooking onion.
Ingredients in vegetable quiche
I grate 1 cup of sharp cheddar and 1 cup of aged hard parmesan cheese.
In a mixing bowl I crack 6 large eggs, and 1/4 cup almond milk and beat until well mixed.  (At this point you may wonder with all the other dairy used why almond milk?  I have yet to find dairy free cheese that I like and I love the taste of almond milk.  If you know of a good dairy free hard cheese product please share.)

I place the broccoli on the bread crumbs, followed by green peppers & onions, next the cheese and last of all the egg and almond milk.   Your pie plate will be next to over flowing and if it looks like it will overflow divide the ingredients into two pie plates.
Bake at 375 F for 60 minutes or until the egg mixture as set and comes out clean with a knife is inserted.  

Paul enjoys his with Salsa on top, also feel free to experiment with different vegetables.


I hope you enjoy this hot breakfast in February
Ingredients
½ a cooking onion diced
1 large sweet pepper diced
3 cups of broccoli cut into bite size pieces
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded hard aged parmesan cheese
6 eggs beaten
½ cup almond milk
Gluten free bread crumbs enough to cover the bottom of you pie plate
Salt and pepper to taste

Grandma Snyder
©2013-2014 twosnydergirls

No comments: