Friday 7 February 2014

Gluten Free Pumpkin Oatmeal Pancakes



February Hot Breakfast Foods

Oatmeal Pumpkin Pancakes Gluten Free

pumpkin oatmeal pancakes

I love pancakes so when I found a gluten free option on the menu at the ‘The Bicycle CafĂ©’ in Flesherton Ontario I had to try them – Pumpkin Oatmeal Pancakes.  The flavour and texture were wonderful.
Bicycle Cafe
14 Sydenham Street, Flesherton, Ontario N0C 1E0


I have thought about those pancakes often and tried many recipes with great disappointment.  So I set out to create my own recipe.  I remembered that the flavour was one of a savory pumpkin pie, while the texture was dense with a touch of crunch.

To get the crunch I toasted my gluten free oatmeal in 1 Tablespoon of coconut oil and to get the savory pumpkin pie flavour I used a mixture of pumpkin pie spices.  I added ginger to one batch and while not my favourite at the end of the meal all the pancakes were gone!
gluten free pumpkin oatmeal pancakes

Gluten Free Oatmeal Pumpkin Pancakes

Ingredients:
1 cup pumpkin puree
½ cup almond milk
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup steal cut oats
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ cup gluten-free flour
½ teaspoon allspice
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
¼ teaspoon salt
1 to 1 ½ teaspoons cinnamon (love this spice)
¼ to ½ teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
¼ teaspoon xanthan
2 Tablespoons brown sugar

Directions:
1) Mix your flour, baking soda, sugar and spices together and mix well
2) In a saucepan toast your oats until lightly brown in coconut oil (1 to 2 Tablespoons)
3) Once toasted add to the hot saucepan ½ to 1/3 of a cup of water and stir cooking for no more than 2 minutes
4) Lightly beat the eggs with a fork
5) Incorporate all of the liquid ingredients into the dry adding more milk if the batter is too thick.
6) Fry the pancakes in a greased frying pan.  I found the best results when using a medium low heat.

Enjoy

Grandma Snyder
©2013-2015 twosnydergirls

No comments: