Saturday 4 January 2014

Winter Flu

Stay Healthy this Flu Season

I am going to state up front that I am home from work for the second day with a winter flu.  How did I get it? Well, we can trace it back to our beautiful granddaughter.  

Between the stage of our children leaving High School and becoming grandparents of school aged children we had a reprieve from the winter flu bug, or at least it seemed that way.

How as a grandparent can I not pick up and cuddle my ill granddaughter?  Yes, I did and now I have to suffer the consequences – I hate being sick!
What do the expert say we should do to keep the winter flu bug at bay?

The Center for Disease Control and Prevention offers us three basic steps:
Source

Get your flu vaccine as soon as they are available. 

Did I get a flu vaccine this winter? No! I came up with all the excuses listed by the CDC. Will I next year? Yes!

 
Source
Take everyday prevention actions to stop the spread of germs.  


I did all of this and kissed my ill granddaughter.  At the time it seemed like the right thing to do but in hindsight I missed an important teachable moment.  I could have offered her physical comfort and taught her that when we are ill we do not kiss other people.  
 
Source
Take Flu antiviral drugs if your doctor prescribes them.  

Great Grandma came down with the same flu for the same reason and she was put on antibiotics.  I am suffering through with over the counter pain medication, copious amounts of water, Echinacea, Zinc, hot baths and sleep.

As we age we are joining the high risk category and with flu viruses becoming stronger and stronger it is a lesson worth teaching and learning from.
When our grandchildren are ill, if possible, ask their parents to keep them home. We can call them on the phone or Skype with them to provide comfort and support.

If you have to provide direct care, which many of you do, talk your ill grandchild about the reason you are washing your hands, or using alcohol wipes and in a loving way tell them up front that there will be no kissing and why.

Grandma Snyder

Note: I am not a doctor or an expert on flu please visit the CDC website and vet all medical advice through your physician.

Graphics without a source are from http://thegraphicsfairy.com/

©2013-2016 Twosnydergirls

No comments: