Tuesday 7 January 2014

A Bit of Grace

I grew up in an (Amish) Mennonite family. Saying grace before a meal was aways a part of any mealtime.
Gingerich family 1956
When I had kids of my own, my husband and I continued that tradition. We would hold hands and pray a blessing on our food and our day in whatever manner felt best for that particular time. Although I don't say an audible prayer when I eat alone, I do still ask to hold hands pray out loud when I have guests.

When Trina and Gary started their life together, they did not say a grace before meals at home. Thus Mina was introduced to this concept by her grandparents. She is now four years old and on this visit "home" her experience in church and with prayer was more meaningful than it has ever been. 
Mina at Christmas Eve service
Mina loved singing with the congregation in church. Poppa worked on teaching her a prayer, "God is great, God is good, let us thank him for our food. Amen" Sometimes she would say her own prayer, in 'Mina-ese' (Mina spoke in a language all her own for some time before using English) - we knew it was a prayer by the cadence and phrasing. 
Mina and Poppa
For our last lunch together before the family would get on the big airplane to fly back to California was a bit of a hurried thing. Grandma made pizza, with Mina's help. 
Mina making a blueberry, ham and cheese pizza
When the pizza was ready we started eating. Mina stopped us, reaching out her hands. We got the message. We stopped, took hands around the circle and repeated the grace Poppa taught her. Gary decided they might have to start doing this at home too.

You may not always know when you are teaching a child -- or when a child is teaching you.

People were bringing babies to Jesus so that he would bless them. When the disciples saw this, they scolded them. Then Jesus called them to him and said, "Allow the children to come to me. Don't forbid them, because God's kingdom belongs to people like these children. I assure you that whoever doesn't welcome God's kingdom like a child will never enter it." Luke 18:15-17

Barbara B
© 2013-2014 twosnydergirls

No comments: